By Julie B. Wiest
Serial murderers generate an abundance of public curiosity, media assurance, and legislations enforcement cognizance, but after a long time of reviews, serial homicide researchers were not able to respond to an important query: Why? delivering a special and finished exploration, Creating Cultural Monsters: Serial homicide in America explains connections among American tradition and the prevalence of serial homicide, together with the reason why so much pointed out serial murderers are white, male americans. It describes the omnipresence of serial homicide in American media and investigates what it can take to diminish its occurrence.
Presenting empirically supported arguments that experience the aptitude to revolutionize how serial homicide is known, studied, and investigated, this volume:
- Places the serial homicide phenomenon in a cultural context, selling qualitative knowing and the possibility of lowering its frequency
- Includes an illustrated version that explains how humans make the most of cultural values to build traces of motion in line with their cultural competencies
- Demonstrates how the yankee cultural milieu fosters serial homicide and the construction of white male serial murderers
- Provides a critique of the yank mass media’s position within the improvement and notoriety of serial murder
- Describes the framework on which nearly all of definitions of serial homicide are based
Drawn from years of committed examine of Dr. Julie B. Wiest, this quantity offers a brand new method of the research of U.S. serial homicide, bargains vital implications for legislation enforcement and mass media, and varieties a foundation for destiny learn on serial homicide, homicide, and violence within the U.S. and in different countries.
Read or Download Creating Cultural Monsters: Serial Murder in America PDF
Similar murder & mayhem true accounts books
Drawing seriously on unique examine designed to coach law enforcement officials to outlive lethal encounters, Profiling Cop-Killers examines the sociological heritage, psychology, and factors of fifty murderers of cops in 2011. The booklet identifies the commonalities and transformations among teams of offenders through age, interpreting the formerly hidden connections among an offender’s deadly offerings, felony background, drug and alcohol utilization, and interpersonal relationships.
Each small city has a second whilst the true international all at once intrudes, shattering the town's notions of itself and its humans. For electorate of Marshall, Michigan, that second got here August 18, 1967. Nola Puyear was once operating downtown on the Tasty Cafe that morning while she bought a package deal. She opened it and was once immediately killed in a fiery explosion.
One evening in December 1800, within the far away project outpost of San Antonio in northern Mexico, Eulalia Californio and her lover Primo plotted the homicide of her abusive husband. whereas the sufferer was once slumbering, Prio and his brother tied a rope round Juan Californio's neck. one in every of them sat on his physique whereas the opposite pulled at the rope and the girl, grabbing her husband by way of the legs, pulled within the wrong way.
A listing of murder convictions 1903. comprises 103 circumstances together with the case of Esther Atkins who was once robbed and murdered in Aldershot, Annie Marshall who was once outraged and murdered at Scampton Grange Farm, George Woodart who killed a toddler 10 years previous and confessed in 1903, Herbert Madden who killed his young children, the homicide of Constable Wilkinson , the case of John Guion who shot his spouse's mother and the Veronica mutiny.
- FATAL VOWS: The Tragic Wives of Sergeant Drew Peterson
- JFK: From Parkland to Bethesda: The Ultimate Kennedy Assassination Compendium
- Killing Jodie
- The Lazier Murder: Prince Edward County, 1884 (Osgoode Society for Canadian Legal History)
- Better Dead Than Divorced
Additional resources for Creating Cultural Monsters: Serial Murder in America